Pictorial Rules Quiz
for Cases 26-50, click here
updated: 11 Jan 2017
Click on the number below to bring up that Case:
In the photo below, W6732 and W7663 are just finishing.
Is W6732 entitled to mark-room here? Answer
In the photo below, which I changed to a mirror image to
make the situation more interesting, W286 is completing
his beat as the Laser starts his run. They are in the
Does Rule 18 apply? Who has the right of way? Why?
What restraints, if any, do the Rules place on this right-of-way boat?
In the photo below, the Maltese Falcon (red, blue
and gray spi) is overtaking the other three boats who are
What rules apply if MF decides to sail between any two of the boats ahead?
In the photo below, W1366 is crossing ahead of W3654.
Which boat has right of way? Why?
What do the rules not permit the right-of-way boat to do here?
In the photo below, W6 and W7380 are about to round the
In the photo below, the Wayfarer has just established an
overlap to leeward of the Laser.
1. What is the first rule that applies at the moment the leeward overlap begins?
2. What does that rule require the overtaking boat to do?
3. What does that rule require the overtaken boat to do?
4. What other rule will also limit the leeward boat after those first few seconds of overlap?
5. Must Leeward give Windward room to sail her proper course here?
In the photo below...
... what rule does 442 appear to be breaking?
In the photo below, Poul Ammentorp (W239) appears to be
clear ahead of the white boat since his hull is definitely
clear of the white hull.
Name two parts of W239 that could be the source of an overlap here.
In the photo below, Shadow (W286) and Free
Range Chick'n are on a collision course.
1. Which boat has right-of-way?
2. Do the Rules permit W286 to sail higher if he gets a lift now?
3. Do the Rules permit W10139 (yellow) to sail higher if he gets a lift now?
4. Do the Rules permit W10139 (yellow) to sail lower if he gets a header now?
In the photo below, W286 and Laser 61007 are on a run to
mark 4 on Fanshawe Lake.
1. Does rule 12 (overtaking boat) apply here? Why (not)?
2. Which rule definitely applies?
In the photo below, W6 has just rounded the leeward mark
and tacked to starboard. W1191 is about to round the
1. Does being subject to rule 18 give W1191 any protection from W6 here?
2. What limitations, if any, does rule 16 place on W6 here?
In the photo below, the overlapped boats have just reached
the offset mark and are rounding onto a run to the leeward
1. Does rule 18 permit Poul (the inside boat) to make a "tactical rounding" or is he merely entitled to"room" (for a seamanlike rounding)?
2. Does Poul have to turn slowly in order to give Gunnar (the outside boat) room to keep clear?
3. Gunnar wants to gybe now but Poul wants to wait. What does rule 18 say about this?
In the photo below, W825 (far left) and CL1050 (the two boats on
the left) drew even with the mark while they were clear
ahead. They have just now turned to get into rounding
1. Are any of the three boats on the right entitled to mark-room from CL1050?
2. Are any of the three boats on the right entitled to mark-room from W825 (far left)?
In the photo below, W9235 is outpointing W3854 as they
sail up a beat on Tawas Bay.
1. If they continue to get closer together to the point of nearly colliding, who will have to keep clear? Under what rule?
2. Would rule 17 apply here (same tack; proper course)?
3. What other rule will apply once these boats get very close to each other, say about a foot of water between the hulls?
In the photo below, W864 reaches the finish mark ahead of
C Scow V45.
Is W864 entitled to mark-room at this finish mark?
In the photo below, W8868 (Uncle Al wearing Mike
McNamara's spinnaker) and W7700 (Roger Shepherd) are neck
and neck along the far shore of Fanshawe Lake. There is
about one boatlength of space between the two hulls.
1. Who has the right of way?
2. What rules will limit W8868's course of action?
3. In what way is W7700 limited by the rules if he established his overlap from clear astern?
In the photo below, W7663 and W3571 angling in towards the
west shore of Fanshawe Lake on starboard tack. Because he
is getting fairly close to running aground, W7663 calls
for "room to tack for an obstruction". W3571 would prefer
not to tack yet since starboard tack is lifted.
1. Do the Rules permit W7663 to call for room to tack here?
2. Does 7663 have to wait as long as possible before hailing, i.e. until he is very close to the obstruction?
3. What can W3571 do if he feels 7663's hail is improper because the boats are not yet dangerously close to the obstruction?
4. What can 3571 do here instead of immediately tacking?
5. Once W3571 has tacked to respond to 7663's hail, can 7663 continue sailing for a few seconds to make sure he'll have clear air after tacking?
In the photo below, CL1050 was just ahead of CL2679 when
1050 reached the zone. 1050 then
tacked right around the mark.
In the photo below, the boats are approaching the starting
line to start, and the mark is surrounded by navigable
In the photo below, the Wayfarer (Bob Kennedy in 3571) and
the "cruiser" 1131 are on a collision course.
1. Which boat has the right of way? Under what rule?
2. If 1131 luffs up to close-hauled to keep clear of 3571, can 1131 invoke rule 19 (room to pass an obstruction) as the two boats get closer to the shore?
3. Would such a call force 3571 to run down to give 1131 room, or is there another, better, option for 3571, one that 1131 would not like??
In the photo below, Laser 61007 and W286 are running down
towards mark #4 on Fanshawe Lake.
In the photo below, W864 is sailing close-hauled towards
two running Wayfarers.
1. Does being close-hauled give him the right of way?
2. What are the obligations of W6 here?
In the photo below, W7660 has just rounded the leeward
mark and now meets W3854.
1. Which boat has the right of way?
2. What are the obligations of W3854 here? of W7660?
In the photo below, the red boat has come up from astern
and established an overlap on both the white and the gray
In the photo below, the partially obscured boat on the
left is on a collision course with Laser 42692.
Which of these two boats has the right of way? Why?
|continue the quiz with questions 26 through 50